Monday 8 July 2019

Engine OK, now to catch up

The engine now turns over, with valve timing achieved and steam chest covers in place.  I have not yet run the engine on compressed air.  The band brake is operational.  All the controls on the quadrant work (brake, valve gear control, water control).  I now need to catch up on the disc brakes and basic electrics.  I have also designed a clamp-on attachment for towing and any front-end extras, providing two u-bolts to act as towing points for an A-frame tow hitch.  I am planning to put in place some modern electrics for lighting, the additional lighting is at the design stage; I shall abandon historical accuracy in favour of safety.  With all the work done to it, the steamer's paintwork is starting to look a bit shabby; there will need to be a programme of re-painting before it is fully presentable.

1 comment:

  1. Alan, You say 'shabby' - hardly surprising after waiting all these years! Mine is even showing signs of surface corrosion (on the disc brakes)!! How about some photos? I would be interested to see your electrics design - So far I have threaded some 7 core caravan cable from the front to back for sidelights/indicators/brakes etc but that is as far as I have gone for the moment!
    Regards
    Greg

    ReplyDelete