Monday 23 March 2020

Burner layout and safety

I am pleased that I am not able to install the burner (Kit 20) straight away.
I contacted STW with a query about the safety of the installation as described conflicting with the burner manufacturer's safety instructions.  Apparently, the orientation which has been used previously, with success, on previous Lykamobiles, is "forbidden for safety reasons", by Riello.
Consequently, STW are trialling a sideways installation which is slightly less elegant but should work.  It will involve a new adapter and basket, and new fitting instructions, to be supplied with the next kit.  Riello are locked down and cannot provide any further advice.
I shall carry on with my tin bashing to install the boiler, and wait for further instructions.

3 comments:

  1. Alan,
    I,m sorry that I have not written for a while but I was having problems connecting with your blogspot!! First off, I can confirm that mounting the burner at 90 degrees is perfectly OK and works just fine! No need for a new adapter, just a small cut to be made to clear the support strap bolt! STW will have to provide a new plywood back panel and the basket will probably need altering. However, I am more than a little concerned with you altering the flue arrangement. You are going to end up stiffling/suffocating the burner with the result that it is not going to be able to clear the exhaust gases quickly enough! Worse still, I think you are going to seriously run the risk of causing a firebox explosion especially as we are using liquid fuel. Also, you will invalidate the STW quarantee as you have altered their specification and also I would think that insurance and road registration will be impossible to obtain. Unless you are now not going to run it on public roads but private land only! If I were you - dont run the risk. Use the provided flue which is designed to give free passage of draft and clears all unburnt gases inbetween burner re-lights during normal useage!! Think carefully!!
    Regards
    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alan again,
    I would be interested in hearing from you as well on the above subject, and tghat is on the subject of boiuler installation!! How are you getting on with it?? I found it quite difficult to make everything fit forgetting the weight, especially the actual cladding but got there in the end! I guess all builders will find similar problems!
    Kind regards
    WRITE SOON!
    Greg

    ReplyDelete