Thursday 2 May 2019

The engine is assembled

Now that I have made everything fit together to form an engine I now have to dis-assemble it for painting/ rustproofing/ sealing.  There are no parts left over. As promised in the assembly instructions, it took a while to get the valve rods lined up with the bearing; I ended up having to make the circular piston mounting holes into slots to enable some sideways movement.  One piston was shimmed out from the central column with washers so that the valve rods were the correct distance apart.  The eccentrics are not yet in place as they need a hub puller to dis-assemble them - I am treating that as a one-off exercise.




 The hot parts will be silver, as I have some high temperature paint that colour.  I was thinking of  painting moving parts a distinctive colour - yellow perhaps?
Everything that can leak steam will need to be sealed.  Inaccessible surfaces will be coated to resist rust.  Glands will be sealed, piston rings are to be fitted.

I have procured some batteries as recommended.  I note that the batteries need to be kept charged to preserve their condition.

If there is a battery, then electric lights are an option - will try to find (or make) some that look as if they come from the right era, but will use LEDs for efficiency and safety. In the short term, some bicycle accessories may be pressed into service.

I have got to have a steam whistle!  According to 19th century legislation, one is not allowed to use a steam whistle so as to frighten animals (e.g. the horses of the Lord of the Manor)

I note that the battery box is watertight, as it was directly under a hole in the tarpaulin when it rained.  A hole will be needed,

Next steps:  fit the disk brakes; fit the controls; wire up the batteries.  That should keep me out of mischief for a while!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alan, I have read with great interest your progress - terrific!! Battery box is water tight - I ground off the bottom corners at 45 degrees on mine! It is no longer water tight and also will always drain in the future!!
    Greg

    ReplyDelete