Tuesday 8 May 2018

Engine Coming

FedEx lost part of my engine. The latest kit contained 2 packages; one was delivered.  They have now said that the 2nd package has been traced. The missing part was the frame - I now have the cylinder blocks and crankshaft pieces.  It is no real hardship to be delayed as I have some extra time to finish some more painting.  I am painting over any bolts which form part of the main assembly and which I do not intend to undo again.  I have gained some bumps and chips to the paintwork, so another coat will go on when the re-assembly has been done.
Thinking about the next stage. ... In principle , I believe that all steam channels should offer the least resistance to the passage of steam.  The routes should be free from any unnecessary constriction and should be smooth with no sharp edges.  An opening with sharp edges has a discharge coefficient of about 0.6, but that for a smooth opening is about 0.98.  I think that any "fitting" activities will involve smoothing sharp edges and irregularities, polishing the sides and maximising the opening area - all to reduce pressure losses.  I was surprised to see that the steam route from the port to the cylinder end comprised three drilled holes next to each other.  To reduce pressure loss along the way, I shall taper (/streamline) the ends of the holes so that they more resemble a venturi,  the holes might allow for some widening, and the holes could be smoothed, probably with a needle file.  I am not sure if there would be any undesirable side effects from combining the 3 holes into a single slot - could it reduce the strength of the cylinder, or cause distortion, or cause a stress concentration/ fatigue cracks?  I shan't be touching the steam ports as I don't want to upset any valve timings.  The GA of the engine gives an indication as to the dimensions of the valve gear - it should be possible to make a simulation.to better understand any problems with timing set-up.
The exhaust port is not centred on the exhaust pipe fitting - I shall try to reduce any irregularities by filing and smoothing. 
Pictures to come.

1 comment: