Wednesday 9 August 2017

Front wheels and brakes.

I have postponed my painting plans so as to assemble the front wheels and disc brakes;  I was forewarned that I might find fitting the disc calliper difficult.  I have completed a dry/trial assembly of one side, I shall have to disassemble, re-fit and grease up the assembly.
  • The outer races of the wheel bearings were a tight fit in the wheel hub, some abrasive action enabled easier assembly.
  • The replacement castle nuts fit (unlike the originals).
  • The assembly went smoothly, following the drawings.
  • When assembling the disc calliper, I noted that the disc is slightly too far in-board to engage with the unworn disc pads when the calliper is fitted over the bosses for the screw threads in the mounting.  When the pads are more worn, the problem would be less severe.
  • A shim/ washer placed between the grease seal and the bearing can be used to move the wheel hub out a bit.  I used an M15 Form C washer which is 3mm thick, the calliper then fitted over the brake disc! :)   This was over-compensating for the offset, and might affect the efficiency of the grease seal and disc pads, and the correct operation of the castle nut.
  • When I re-assemble the wheel and disc, I shall try to reduce the thickness of the washer (to 2mm, I think).  I shall also follow the suggestion made by STW to file off some or all of the bosses, to enable a bit more play in the calliper mounting.  STW may come up with a more elegant solution.
  • I might also have to use a Swiss file to take off some material from the castle nut to enable the pin to go through, as there will be less thread than originally intended.
The tyres were supplied inflated to 27 psi, I wonder what the best pressure will be?  They can take up to 40psi.

3 comments:

  1. Alan,
    See the STW forum. "Kits" are being produced which will fix all alignment problems properly! The kits consist of new spacers, washers and castellated nuts. In some cases, complete new replacement axle/king pin assemblies. So, need for a lot of wild hacking, filing and modifications!! Kits should be available for despatch next week sometime. Lynn has all the details. I have inflated my tyres to 2,5 bar (about 35psi in UK terms).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg, thanks for the update. Alan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alan, You are welcome! Like you, I just hate unnecessary work or doing things twice! Glad to help!

    ReplyDelete