Thursday 30 March 2017

Kit 2, Steering gear; fully assembled

The steering gear is fully assembled and the car is right way up again.  The next job is to paint all the non-moving metal parts.  I had to open out a thread on the steering king pin which I had damaged during my inexpert assembly efforts; the correct screw tap was applied to good effect.  I also shortened each of the long tracking rods by 2-3 threads (carefully this time!) A hacksaw, lubricating oil and a swiss file seemed to make the job easier; I didn't have to use the die which I had in reserve just in case of problems.  How often does one prepare for a mistake and it never happens!  The steering is now showing just a touch of toe-out when the adjustment is at its full limit.  As well as painting, the moving parts will be lightly oiled and inaccessible metal surfaces treated with Waxoyl to reduce the risk of corrosion.  Before the wheels go on, I expect to re-check that all the nuts and bolts are secure.  As I assembled the tiller I wondered what the handle was made of on the original Locomobiles; was it wood, or rubber as per the current incarnation?  I also noticed that the welding might need some tidying up, but I am reluctant to do much to the welds - a well designed and made weld (or other assembly) has an aesthetic appeal all of its own.

3 comments:

  1. I cannot understand why you have shortened the track rods?! Everything supplied in kits 1 & 2 are precision made and as such only require "fitting" - and as for "tidying up" welds, the welding is of an outstanding quality and finish! Are you building the same Lycamobile that I am? I wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gregory, thank you for your interest in this blog. I welcome all comments which are friendly, constructive and useful. I have got several helpful comments which have caused me to re-think my approach to advantage. How far have you got with your build, do you also have a blog? It would be good to compare notes with fellow builders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alan, Thanks for your reply! As an engineer myself (retired), all bearings, thrust or otherwise, should be thoroughly greased with a good quality bearing grease before installation. This goes for the thrust bearings on the king pins as well! For assembly, I always de-bur (of course) with either a fine file or emery cloth, and then use a fairly heavy grade slick oil such as sae140 gearbox oil which tends to stay where you put it to ease assembly. You will then find I'm sure that everything just slips into position with the minimum of difficulty. I wouldn't suggest using 'a light oil' on all moving parts - they need something much more substantial as I have already said.

      Delete